Sunday, November 17, 2013

It begins again...

I know this project has sat at the sidelines for far too long but I still haven't given up on it. After following my tradition of making myself a coat every year and giving it away the next year, I found myself falling behind. I gave my previous coat as a gift at the end of 2012 and have been sans-mighty-coat for nearly a year. Time to fix that.

Since I was going to be hand cutting the patterns I decided to make a few design changes for this go-around. I slanted the back vents a bit to balance the shoulder to waist angle and made the back belt a bit shorter. I also decided to change the bellows pockets to have a separate top piece to reduce some of the bulk around the opening. These are both things I had been contemplating for quite some time as this project lay dormant.

I haven't given up on the idea of producing patterns for others to use, possibly as a Kickstarter, but I'm not sure what sort of interest there would be. So if you do stumble across this blog and have an interest in seeing this project go further, please let me know. I would love to create a How-to video series and make this a much more open project.